Our Human Resource blogs and articles are designed to give you up to date access to current information and issues
Your Questions AnsweredPosted on by Angela Rhodes
Q. What are the rules around employing children?
A. The Children and Young Persons Act 1933 states the following requirements when employing children:
- Must be aged over 14 years
- Can only carry out light work
- Must not work during school hours
- Cannot work before 7.00am or after 7.00pm on any day
- Cannot work for more than two hours on a school day or a Sunday
- Cannot work for more than eight hours or, if aged less than 15 years. for more than five hours on any non-school day other than a Sunday
- Cannot work for more than twelve hours in any week during school term time
- Cannot work for more than 35 hours or, if aged less than 15 years, for more than 25 hours in any non-school week
- Cannot work for more than four consecutive hours in any day with a minimum of one hour rest break.
< Go back