30% of Employees Regularly Inflate their Expenses
Posted on by Angela Rhodes
Allstar Business Solutions have recently released the finding of a survey they carried out of 1,000 employees relating to their business expenses which showed that over one-third of employees regularly inflate their expenses and almost 20% of employees deliberately inflate their expenses which is estimated to cost employers somewhere in the region of £1.6 billion per year.
What’s worse is that 41% of the employees considered there to be nothing wrong in over-inflating their expenses despite their actions constituting fraud!
When asked in the survey why they over-claimed their expenses, 28% said it was simply because they were able to get away with it!
So, some tips to avoid this happening in your business…
- Tell your employees that you will be carrying out random spot checks on expense claims on a regular basis;
- Always spot check more than one employee each time to avoid any claims of being singled out or victimised;
- Check the miles claimed for business journeys – if an employee simply adds on a couple of miles to each journey and you are paying the HMRC rates of £0.45 per mile, this will soon add up;
- Check that journeys claimed have actually taken place, eg the meeting was held at your own premises rather than at the premises of a client yet the employee claims the mileage to the client’s premises;
- Ensure that original receipts are attached to each claim.
< Go back